Dr. Scott Forbes
Dr. Scott Forbes’ primary interest is in sport science and has focused on various nutritional and training interventions to enhance athlete performance. In addition, he has expertise examining nutritional and exercise interventions for optimal muscle and brain health in older adults. He has worked as a personal trainer as well as an athlete consultant for several professional and varsity level sport teams.
Department of Physical Education Studies, Faculty of Education
Brandon University, 270-18th Street, Brandon, Manitoba, R7A6A9
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=G1l9mDQAAAAJ&hl=en
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies, University of Regina, 2018-Present
- Research Affiliate, University of Manitoba, Centre on Aging, 2019-present
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (Faculty of Medicine): University of Calgary, 2013-2014
- International Olympic Committee diploma in Sport Nutrition: 2014-2016
- Ph.D. (Physical Education and Recreation): University of Alberta, 2007 – 2012
- M.Sc. (Kinesiology): University of Saskatchewan, 2005-2007
- B.Sc. (Kinesiology): University of Saskatchewan, 2001-2005
Certified Sports Nutritionist (CISSN): International Society of Sports Nutrition
Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP): Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
High Performance Specialist: Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
Research Publications (Selected highlights since 2017)
- Karayigit, R.; Forbes, S.C.; Naderi, A.; Candow, D.G.; Yildirim, U.C.; Akca, F.; Aras, D.; C. Yasli, B.; Sisman, A.; Mor, A.; Kaviani, M. Different Doses of Carbohydrate Mouth Rinse Have No Effect on Exercise Performance in Resistance Trained Women. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 3463. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18073463
- Pakulak, A., Candow, D. G., Totosy de Zepetnek, J., Forbes, S. C., & Basta, D. (2021). Effects of Creatine and Caffeine Supplementation During Resistance Training on Body Composition, Strength, Endurance, Rating of Perceived Exertion and Fatigue in Trained Young Adults. Journal of dietary supplements, 1–16. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/19390211.2021.1904085
- Pourabbas, M.; Bagheri, R.; Hooshmand Moghadam, B.; Willoughby, D.S.; Candow, D.G.; Elliott, B.T.; Forbes, S.C.; Ashtary-Larky, D.; Eskandari, M.; Wong, A.; Dutheil, F. Strategic Ingestion of High-Protein Dairy Milk during a Resistance Training Program Increases Lean Mass, Strength, and Power in Trained Young Males. Nutrients 2021, 13, 948. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13030948
- Pires, L.A.M., Forbes, S. C., Candow, D. G., Machado, M. (2021). Creatine supplementation on cognitive performance following exercise in female Muay Thai athletes. The Journal of the Society for Neurosports 1 (1), 6.
- Candow, D. G., Forbes, S. C., Kirk, B., & Duque, G. (2021). Current Evidence and Possible Future Applications of Creatine Supplementation for Older Adults. Nutrients, 13(3), 10.3390/nu13030745. 745 [pii]
- Antonio, J.; Candow, D. G.; Forbes, S. C.; Gualano, B.; Jagim, A. R.; Kreider, R. B.; Rawson, E. S.; Smith-Ryan, A. E.; VanDusseldorp, T. A.; Willoughby, D. S.; Ziegenfuss, T. N. Common questions and misconceptions about creatine supplementation: what does the scientific evidence really show? J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr. 2021, 18.
- Abdollahi, S.; Soltani, S.; de Souza, R. J.; Forbes, S. C.; Toupchian, O.; Salehi-Abargouei, A. Associations between Maternal Dietary Patterns and Perinatal Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies. Adv. Nutr. 2021.
- Forbes, S. C.; Candow, D. G.; Ferreira, L. H. B.; Souza-Junior, T. P. Effects of Creatine Supplementation on Properties of Muscle, Bone, and Brain Function in Older Adults: A Narrative Review. J. Diet. Suppl. 2021, 1-18.
- Sarshin, A.; Fallahi, V.; Forbes, S. C.; Rahimi, A.; Koozehchian, M. S.; Candow, D. G.; Kaviani, M.; Khalifeh, S. N.; Abdollahi, V.; Naderi, A. Short-term co-ingestion of creatine and sodium bicarbonate improves anaerobic performance in trained taekwondo athletes. J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr. 2021, 18, 10-7.
- Pereira, C. G. M.; Santana, E. R. S.; Ramos, J. E. R.; da Silva, H M B S; Nunes, M. A. P.; Forbes, S. C.; Santos, H. O. Low Serum Zinc Levels and Associated Risk Factors in Hospitalized Patients Receiving Oral or Enteral Nutrition: A Case-Control Study. Clin. Ther. 2020.
- Bagheri, R.; Hooshmand Moghadam, B.; Ashtary-Larky, D.; Forbes, S. C.; Candow, D. G.; Galpin, A. J.; Eskandari, M.; Kreider, R. B.; Wong, A. Whole Egg Vs. Egg White Ingestion During 12 weeks of Resistance Training in Trained Young Males: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J. Strength Cond Res. 2020.
- Bagheri, R.; Forbes, S. C.; Candow, D. G.; Wong, A. Effects of branched-chain amino acid supplementation and resistance training in postmenopausal women. Exp. Gerontol. 2020, 111185.
- Raeisi-Dehkordi, H.; Amiri, M.; Zimorovat, A.; Moghtaderi, F.; Zarei, S.; Forbes, S. C.; Salehi-Abargouei, A. Canola oil compared with sesame and sesame-canola oil on glycaemic control and liver function in patients with type 2 diabetes: A three-way randomized triple-blind cross-over trial. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 2020, e3399.
- Paiva, J. M.; Souza, C.; Valle, V. O.; Forbes, S. C.; Pereira, R.; Machado, M. Creatine monohydrate enhanced fixed and planned load reduction resistance training without altering ratings of perceived exertion. Journal of Exercise and Nutrition 2020, 3.
- Amiri, M.; Raeisi-Dehkordi, H.; Sarrafzadegan, N.; Forbes, S. C.; Salehi-Abargouei, A. The effects of canola oil on cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis with dose-response analysis of controlled clinical trials. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases 2020.
- Forbes, S. C.; Candow, D. G.; Smith-Ryan, A. E.; Hirsch, K. R.; Roberts, M. D.; VanDusseldorp, T. A.; Stratton, M. T.; Kaviani, M.; Little, J. P. Supplements and Nutritional Interventions to Augment High-Intensity Interval Training Physiological and Performance Adaptations-A Narrative Review. Nutrients 2020, 12, 10.3390/nu12020390.
- Forbes, S. C.; Bell, G. J. Whey protein isolate or concentrate combined with concurrent training does not augment performance, cardiorespiratory fitness, or strength adaptations. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness 2020, 60, 832-840.
- Mills, S.; Candow, D. G.; Forbes, S. C.; Neary, J. P.; Ormsbee, M. J.; Antonio, J. Effects of Creatine Supplementation during Resistance Training Sessions in Physically Active Young Adults. Nutrients 2020, 12, 10.3390/nu12061880.
- Antonio, J.; Candow, D. G.; Forbes, S. C.; Ormsbee, M. J.; Saracino, P. G.; Roberts, J. Effects of Dietary Protein on Body Composition in Exercising Individuals. Nutrients 2020, 12, 10.3390/nu12061890.
- Sarshin, A.; Naderi, A.; da Cruz, C J G; Feizolahi, F.; Forbes, S. C.; Candow, D. G.; Mohammadgholian, E.; Amiri, M.; Jafari, N.; Rahimi, A.; Alijani, E.; Earnest, C. P. The effects of varying doses of caffeine on cardiac parasympathetic reactivation following an acute bout of anaerobic exercise in recreational athletes. J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr. 2020, 17, 44-6.
- Forbes SC., Candow DG., Krentz JR., Roberts, MD., Young, K. (2019). Changes in fat mass following creatine supplementation and resistance training in adults ≥ 50 years of age: A meta-analysis. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology, 4, 62. Doi:10.3390/jfmk4030062
- Forbes, S. C., & Bell, G. J. (2019). Whey protein isolate supplementation while endurance training does not alter cycling performance or immune responses at rest or after exercise. Frontiers in Nutrition, 6, 19. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00019 [doi]
- Candow, D. G., Forbes, S. C., Chilibeck, P. D., Cornish, S. M., Antonio, J., & Kreider, R. B. (2019). Effectiveness of creatine supplementation on aging muscle and bone: Focus on falls prevention and inflammation. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 8(4), 10.3390/jcm8040488. doi:E488 [pii]
- Candow, D. G., Forbes, S. C., & Vogt, E. (2019). Effect of pre-exercise and post-exercise creatine supplementation on bone mineral content and density in healthy aging adults. Experimental Gerontology, 119, 89-92. doi:S0531-5565(18)30710-1 [pii]
- Candow, D. G., Forbes, S. C., Chilibeck, P. D., Cornish, S. M., Antonio, J., & Kreider, R. B. (2019). Variables influencing the effectiveness of creatine supplementation as a therapeutic intervention for sarcopenia. Frontiers in Nutrition, 6, 124.
- Amiri, M., Ghiasvand, R., Kaviani, M., Forbes, S. C., & Salehi-Abargouei, A. (2018). Chocolate milk for recovery from exercise: A systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, doi:10.1038/s41430-018-0187-x [doi]
- Forbes, S. C., & Candow, D. G. (2018). Timing of creatine supplementation and resistance training: A brief review. Journal of Exercise and Nutrition, 1(5) Retrieved from https://www.journalofexerciseandnutrition.com/ManuscriptUploadsPDF/62.pdf
- Forbes, S. C., Chilibeck, P. D., & Candow, D. G. (2018). Creatine supplementation during resistance training does not lead to greater bone mineral density in older humans: A brief meta-analysis. Frontiers in Nutrition, 5, 27. doi:10.3389/fnut.2018.00027 [doi]
- Sheyklouvand, M., & Forbes, S. C. (2018). Aerobic capacities, anaerobic power, and anthropometric characteristics of elite female canoe polo players based on playing position. Sports Sciences for Health, 14(1), 19-24.
- Forbes, S. C., Sletten, N., Durrer, C., Myette-Cote, E., Candow, D., & Little, J. P. (2017). Creatine monohydrate supplementation does not augment fitness, performance, or body composition adaptations in response to four weeks of high-intensity interval training in young females. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 27(3), 285-292. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.2016-0129
Teaching (courses taught at Brandon University)
- 05:351 Fitness Testing/Prescription Laboratory – Brandon University
- 05:251 Fitness Theory and Practice – Brandon University
- 05:454 Introduction to Applied Biomechanics – Brandon University
- 05:370: Health Education – Brandon University.
- 05:176 Resistance Training –Brandon University.
- 05:373 Anatomy and Anatomy Lab –Brandon University.
- 05:479 Exercise Physiology and Labs Brandon University.