B.A., M.A. (McMaster), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Associate Professor and Chair
- Western Europe in the High and Later Middle Ages (ca. 1100-1500 CE), exemplaria and pastoral handbooks, the history of the devil, Iceland.
- The Middle Ages, Late Antiquity, Ancient Greek and Roman civilization, ecclesiastical and cultural history, demons and spirits, Iceland.
- Knowing Demons, Knowing Spirits in the Early Modern Period, ca. 1500 – 1750 (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic) (with Michelle D. Brock, Washington and Lee University, and Richard Raiswell, UPEI) (forthcoming 2018).
- “Theory and Practice in Early Modern Epistemologies of the Preternatural” (with Michelle D. Brock), in Michelle D. Brock, Richard Raiswell, and David Winter (eds), Knowing Demons, Knowing Spirits in the Early Modern Period, ca. 1500 – 1750 (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic) (forthcoming 2018).
- “Three short exempla concerning the purity of Master Gerard ‘la Pucelle’,” Opuscula: Short Texts of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (forthcoming, 2018).
- “Becket and the Wolves: Imagining the Lupine Welsh in a Thirteenth-Century Latin Preaching exemplum from Llanthony Secunda Priory,” in Tristan Sharp and others (eds.), From Learning to Love: Schools, Law, and Pastoral Care in the Middle Ages. Essays in Honour of Joseph W. Goering (Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies 2017), 590-612.
- “Marking the City for Christ: spatiality and the ‘invention’ of Utrecht’s medieval cross of churches,” in Meredith Cohen and Fanny Madeline (eds.), Space in the Medieval West: Places, Territories and Imagined Geographies (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2014), 77-99.
- “Preaching the Demonic Family in the West Country: An account of the devil and his mother in an early thirteenth-century example book from Llanthony Secunda Priory,” in Richard Raiswell and Peter Dendle (eds.), The Devil in Society in Premodern Europe (Toronto: Centre for Renaissance and Reformation Studies Publications, 2012), 137-165.
- “Master Wiger of Utrecht’s Liber exemplorum sub titulis redactorum,” The Journal of Medieval History 38, no. 4 (December 2012), 443-471.
- “The Life and Career of Master Wiger of Utrecht: an Early Convert to the Order of Friars Minor,” The Journal of Medieval History, 31 (March 2005).
Works in Progress
- The Llanthony Stories: Study and Text
- The Devil in the Middle Ages: A Reader (with Richard Raiswell, UPEI)
- 54:153 World History to 1500
- 54:154 World History since 1500
- 54:260 Early Medieval Europe
- 54:261 Ancient I: The Ancient Near East and Greece
- 54:262 Ancient II: The Roman World
- 54:264 The High and Late Middle Ages
- 54:343 History of Iceland
- 54:369 The Crusades
- 54:374 History of European Women I: 500 BCE to 1500 CE
- 54:378 The Viking World
- 54:450 History of the Devil
- 54:462 Reading the Sagas
- 54:463 Medieval Popular Religion