B.A., M.A. (McMaster), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Associate Professor and Chair
- Western Europe in the High and Later Middle Ages (ca. 1100-1500 CE), exemplaria and pastoral handbooks, the history of the devil, Iceland.
- The Middle Ages, Late Antiquity, Ancient Greek and Roman civilization, ecclesiastical and cultural history, demons and spirits, Iceland.
- “Three short exempla concerning the purity of Master Gerard ‘la Pucelle’,” Opuscula: Short Texts of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (forthcoming, 2017).
- “Becket and the Wolves: Imagining the Lupine Welsh in a Thirteenth-Century Latin Preaching exemplum from Llanthony Secunda Priory,” in Tristan Sharp and others (eds.), From Learning to Love: Schools, Law, and Pastoral Care in the Middle Ages. Essays in Honour of Joseph W. Goering (Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies 2017), 590-612.
- “Marking the City for Christ: spatiality and the ‘invention’ of Utrecht’s medieval cross of churches,” in Meredith Cohen and Fanny Madeline (eds.), Space in the Medieval West: Places, Territories and Imagined Geographies (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2014), 77-99.
- “Preaching the Demonic Family in the West Country: An account of the devil and his mother in an early thirteenth-century example book from Llanthony Secunda Priory,” in Richard Raiswell and Peter Dendle (eds.), The Devil in Society in Premodern Europe (Toronto: Centre for Renaissance and Reformation Studies Publications, 2012), 137-165.
- “The Liber exemplorum sub titulis redactorum of Master Wiger of Utrecht (fl. 1220-1240),” The Journal of Medieval History 38, no. 4 (December 2012), 443-471.
- “The Life and Career of Master Wiger of Utrecht: an Early Convert to the Order of Friars Minor,” The Journal of Medieval History, 31 (March 2005).
Works in Progress
- The Llanthony Stories: Study and Text
- The Devil in the Middle Ages: A Reader (with Richard Raiswell, UPEI)
- Knowing Demons, Knowing Spirits in the Early Modern Period, ca. 1400 – 1750 (with Michelle D. Brock, Washington and Lee University, and Richard Raiswell, UPEI)
- 54:153 World History to 1500
- 54:154 World History since 1500
- 54:260 Early Medieval Europe
- 54:261 Ancient I: The Ancient Near East and Greece
- 54:262 Ancient II: The Roman World
- 54:264 The High and Late Middle Ages
- 54:369 The Crusades
- 54:374 History of European Women I: 500 BCE to 1500 CE
- 54:378 The Viking World
- 54:450 History of the Devil
- 54:462 Reading the Sagas
- 54:463 Medieval Popular Religion