Dr. David R. Greenwood
Professor, Dept. of Biology
Academic Degrees and training
Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowship (S.L. Wing), Paleobiology Dept., National Museum of Natural History
NSERC International Postdoctoral Fellowship (J.F. Basinger), University of Saskatchewan
Ph.D., University of Adelaide
B.Sc.(Hons), University of Adelaide
Other Professional Linkages
- member NSERC Geosciences Evaluation Group (EG 1506) July 1, 2020–June 30, 2023.
- Adjunct Professor (2019–2023), Faculty of Science, Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.
- Adjunct Professor (2013–2016; 2016–2019), University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
- Associate Editor (2016–2017), Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences
- Associate Editor for the journal PALAIOS (2009-current), SEPM
- Adjunct Professor (2005–2009; 2009–2014; 2014–2019), Dept. of Geological Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
- Senior Fellow (2001–2006), School of Earth Sciences, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
Dr Greenwood’s Research Interests
The Greenwood lab uses the fossil record of terrestrial plants (fossil leaves, pollen and spores) to reconstruct climates of the geological past, and the forest ecosystems they represent. Details about our research program can be found on the Research Projects page.
Dr Greenwood has received funding for his research from NSERC (2005-2008; 2009-2013; 2016-2020), Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), the province of Manitoba (MRIF), and from Brandon University (BURC; 2005-2006, 2009-2010; 2011-2012; 2014-2016; 2017-2018; 2020-2022). Dr Greenwood was previously funded by the Australian Research Council (1995; 1997; 1998-2000; 2001).
- our recently published paper on Australian Eocene climates and net primary productivity versus climate modelling was publicized here by lead author’s Dr Tammo Reichgelt’s home institution, the University of Connecticut.
- Click here to listen to a podcast of a recent interview with Dr Greenwood and his student Jessica Kalyniuk with Marcy Markusa from CBC Information radio (Winnipeg) about our research on the stomach contents of the mid Cretaceous armoured dinosaur Borealopelta markmitchelli. The interview first aired on Feb. 16, 2021.
- Click here to watch a 15 min YouTube video documentary from the DinoTrails series on the McAbee Fossil Beds, featuring a short piece by Drs Greenwood & West at the 10 min mark.
- Greenwood lab alumnus Dr Christopher West was interviewed by CBC here, and West’s PhD research in the Greenwood lab is also featured here.
- On February 18th 2016 Dr Greenwood gave an invited talk in the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology Speaker Series, sponsored by the Tyrrell Museum Co-operating Society.
- You can see the slides and hear his talk on YouTube here.
- An April 23rd 2014 interview on CBC Radio One (Winnipeg) with Marilyn Maki about Dr Greenwood’s research can be found here.
- Click here to read a July 8th 2014 story on CBC online and a Winnipeg CTV news broadcast about our discovery of a fossil tapir and hedgehog from the Eocene Driftwood Canyon fossil site in British Columbia.
Thanks to funding from: